Restylane Silk is a smooth and clear hyaluronic acid-based dermal filler injected into the lips to add fullness and into the nasolabial folds to reduce the appearance of lines in patients over the age of 21.
What is Restylane?
How Does Restylane Silk Work?
Restylane Silk contains hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring sugar found in the body that supports skin moisture, volume, and elasticity. The filler also contains 0.3% lidocaine to reduce pain during injection.
The filler is designed to temporarily add volume in the lips and smooth the wrinkles around the upper lip in patients 21 to 65 years of age.
Benefits of Restylane Silk
In a clinical trial, of participants treated with Restylane Silk to improve lip volume:
- 98% saw visible improvement in lip fullness 14 days after treatment
- 77% saw visible improvement in lip fullness six months after treatment
Who is a Candidate For Restylane Silk?
Restylane Silk is designed for adults ages 21 and over who’d like to add fullness to their lips and reduce the appearance of lines in their nasolabial folds.
Restylane Silk is contraindicated for patients:
- Taking blood thinners
- Allergic to anesthetics, such as lidocaine
- With weakened immune systems
- Pregnant, breastfeeding, or trying to become pregnant
- Planning other cosmetic treatments (such as lasers and chemical peels) as this increases the risk of inflammation at the injection site
- With skin sores, pimples, rases, hives, cysts or infections at the injection site
- Prone to bleeding or diagnosed with a bleeding disorder
- With a history of serious reactions, such as anaphylaxis, to any drugs or medications.
Patients considering Restylane Silk should speak to their doctor to find out if they’re a good candidate for treatment.
What to Expect During The Procedure
Restylane Silk injections are minimally invasive and performed on an outpatient basis at the doctor’s office.
During the procedure, the doctor will:
- Identify the injection sites in the treatment area(s).
- Use an antiseptic to cleanse the skin of impurities.
- Apply a local anesthetic to numb the treatment area and minimize discomfort.
- Determine how much filler is necessary to achieve the desired outcome.
- Use an ultrafine needle or cannula to inject the filler.
- Gently massage the skin to ensure the filler is evenly distributed and results appear natural.
Patients should avoid strenuous exercise and exposure to excessive heat, sun, or UV lamps for the first 24 hours after treatment.
Results may last up to six months.
Potential Risks And Side Effects
After the procedure patients may experience the following temporary side effects:
- Skin discoloration (or bruising)
- Pain at the injection site
- Lumps/bump formation
These side effects typically resolve within two weeks after the procedure.
Other rare risks of Restylane Silk include scarring, vision changes, infection, cold sores, and temporary scabs.