Restylane Refyne is an FDA-approved hyaluronic acid-based dermal filler used to smooth moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds in patients over the age of 21. The filler can also be used to improve the profile, shape, and size of the chin.
What is Restylane?
Restylane is a brand of hyaluronic acid-based dermal fillers designed to address a variety of cosmetic concerns. Restylane fillers can be used for:
- Enhancing the appearance of lips
- Adding volume in the cheeks
- Minimizing the appearance of lines around the mouth
- Minimizing the appearance of dark circles under the eyes
Who is a Candidate For Restylane Refyne?
Restylane Refyne is designed for adults ages 21 and over who would like to correct moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds without undergoing surgery.
Patients should avoid Restylane if they’re:
- Currently taking blood thinners
- Allergic to bacterial protein
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
Restylane Refyne is also not recommended for patients with a history of serious side effects from any drugs or medications, such as anaphylaxis. Each patient should speak to their doctor to find out if they’re a good candidate for Restylane Refyne.
How Does Restylane Refyne Work?
Restylane Refyne is made using a manufacturing process called XpresHAn Technology and contains hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring sugar found in the body that promotes skin moisture, volume, and elasticity.
The filler is designed to temporarily smooth wrinkles and folds in the face, resulting in a more youthful appearance.
Other Common Restylane Products
Restylane products may be injected into the lips, midface, cheeks, and chin to restore a youthful and natural appearance.
- Restylane Silk. Restores volume in the lips and reduces the appearance of wrinkles around the mouth.
- Restylane Lyft. Restores volume in the cheeks, corrects midface contour deficiencies, and minimizes the appearance of laugh lines.
- Restylane Defyne. Smooths laugh lines around the nose and corners of the mouth.
- Restylane Contour. Restores volume in the cheeks and treats midface contour deficiencies.
What to Expect During The Procedure
Restylane Refyne injections are done on an outpatient basis and don’t require any incisions. At the beginning of the procedure, patients may receive local anesthesia to minimize discomfort.
The entire procedure may last a few minutes to half an hour, depending on the number of injections being done and the size of the treatment area.
During the procedure, the doctor will take the following steps:
- Identify the injection sites in the treatment area(s) and cleanse the skin with an antiseptic.
- Determine how much Restylane is necessary to achieve the desired results.
- Inject the filler using an ultrafine needle or cannula.
After the injection, the doctor may gently massage the treatment area to ensure the filler is evenly distributed and appears natural.
Treatment results may last up to 12 months.
Potential Risks And Side Effects
After the procedure patients may experience the following temporary side effects:
- Pain at the injection site
- Lumps/bump formation
These side effects typically resolve within one to two weeks after the procedure.
Other rare risks of Restylane Refyne include infection, skin discoloration, vision changes, cold sores, stroke, and scarring.