Restylane Kysse is an FDA-approved hyaluronic acid-based dermal filler used to smooth wrinkles around the upper lip and temporarily add fullness to the lips.
What is Restylane?
Restylane is a brand of hyaluronic acid-based dermal fillers designed to smooth wrinkles and restore a more youthful appearance. Restylane fillers can be done to:
- Enhance lip volume
- Increase volume in the cheeks
- Minimize the appearance of lines around the mouth
- Minimize the appearance of dark circles under the eyes
Who is a Candidate For Restylane Kysse?
Restylane Kysse is designed for adults ages 21 and over who would like to smooth wrinkles around the upper lip and temporarily add fullness to the lips without undergoing surgery.
Patients should avoid Restylane Kysse if they’re:
- Currently taking blood thinners
- Allergic to anesthetics, such as lidocaine
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
Restylane Kysse is also not recommended for patients with a history of serious side effects, such as anaphylaxis, from any drugs or medications. Patients considering Restylane Kysse should speak to their doctor to find out if they’re a good candidate for treatment.
How Does Restylane Kysse Work?
Restylane Kysse is formulated using a manufacturing process called XpresHAn Technology. The filler contains hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring sugar found in the body that supports skin moisture, volume, and elasticity.
The filler is designed to temporarily add volume in the lips and smooth the wrinkles around the upper lip in patients over the age of 21.
Other Common Restylane Products
Restylane products may be injected into the lips, midface, cheeks, jawline, and chin to minimize the appearance of wrinkles, restore volume, and create a more youthful appearance.
- Restylane Lyft. For patients seeking to restore volume in the cheeks, correct midface contour deficiencies, and minimize the appearance of laugh lines.
- Restylane Contour. Chosen by patients who’d like to restore volume in the cheeks and correct midface contour deficiencies.
- Restylane Silk. Injected to restore volume in the lips and minimize the appearance of wrinkles around the mouth.
- Restylane Defyne. Used to effectively smooth laugh lines around the nose and corners of the mouth.
What to Expect During The Procedure
Restylane Kysse injections are minimally invasive (meaning they don’t require incisions) and are done on an outpatient basis. At the beginning of the procedure, the doctor may apply numbing cream or ointment to numb the treatment area and minimize discomfort.
Depending on the number of injections being done and the size of the treatment area, the entire procedure may only take a few minutes to half an hour.
During the procedure, the doctor will:
- Identify the injection sites in the treatment area(s).
- Cleanse the skin with an antiseptic.
- Determine how much Restylane is necessary to achieve the desired results.
- Use an ultrafine needle or cannula to inject the filler.
After the injections are complete, the doctor may gently massage the treatment area to ensure the filler is evenly distributed under the skin and appears natural.
Treatment results may last up to 12 months.
Potential Risks And Side Effects
After the procedure patients may experience the following temporary side effects:
- Pain at the injection site
- Lumps/bump formation
These side effects typically resolve within one week after the procedure.
Other rare risks of Restylane Kysse include infection, scarring, vision changes, and cold sores.