Restylane Defyne is an FDA-approved hyaluronic acid-based dermal filler used to smooth laugh lines, which are the wrinkles and folds that may form at the sides of the nose and run toward the corners of the mouth. The filler can also be used to improve the profile, shape, and size of the chin.
What is Restylane?
Restylane is a brand of hyaluronic acid-based dermal fillers used for a variety of cosmetic needs. Various Restylane products can be used for:
- Lip enhancement
- Cheek augmentation
- Minimized appearance of lines around the mouth
- Minimized appearance of dark circles under the eyes
Who is a Candidate For Restylane Defyne?
Restylane Defyne is designed for adults ages 21 and over who would like to smooth laugh lines and improve the profile, shape, and size of the chin without undergoing surgery.
Patients should avoid Restylane if they’re:
- Taking blood thinners
- Allergic to bacterial protein
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
Restylane Defyne is also not recommended for patients with a history of serious side effects from any drugs or medications. Each patient should speak to their doctor to find out if they’re a good candidate for the filler.
How Does Restylane Defyne Work?
Restylane Defyne contains hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring sugar found in the body that supports skin moisture, volume, and elasticity. The hyaluronic acid in Restylane Defyne clings to the skin and attracts water, helping to prolong treatment results. The water in the acid also adds temporary volume.
Restylane Defyne also contains BDDE, an ingredient that helps form a network of hyaluronic acid to create a longer-lasting gel filler.
Other Common Restylane Products
Restylane products are commonly injected into the lips, cheeks, chin, and midface to restore a youthful and natural appearance.
- Restylane Silk. Provides lip augmentation and reduces the appearance of wrinkles around the mouth.
- Restylane Lyft. Plumps the cheeks, corrects midface contour deficiencies, and minimizes the appearance of laugh lines by adding volume and fullness.
- Restylane Refyne. Minimizes the appearance of lines that form along the nose and corners of the mouth.
- Restylane Contour. Restores volume in the cheeks and corrects midface contour deficiencies.
What to Expect During The Procedure
Restylane Defyne injections are done in a medical office and don’t require any incisions. At the beginning of the procedure, the doctor may provide local anesthesia to minimize discomfort.
Treatment may last a few minutes to half an hour, depending on the number of injections being done and the size of the treatment area.
The doctor will take the following steps during the procedure:
- Identify the injection sites in the treatment area(s) and cleanse the skin with an antiseptic.
- Determine how much Restylane is necessary to achieve the desired results.
- Use an ultrafine needle or cannula to inject the Restylane.
Results of Restylane Defyne typically last up to 12 months.
Potential Risks And Side Effects
After the procedure, patients may experience the following temporary side effects:
- Pain or itching at the injection site
- Lumps/bump formation
These side effects typically resolve within one to two weeks.