Restylane Contour is an FDA-approved hyaluronic acid-based dermal filler used for cheek augmentation and to correct midface contour deficiencies in adults over the age of 21. The filler uses XpresHAn technology to create a flexible and smooth gel that integrates with the skin and soft tissue to add natural lift and volume.
What is Restylane?
Restylane is a brand of hyaluronic acid-based dermal fillers used for a variety of cosmetic needs, including:
- Lip enhancement
- Minimized appearance of lines around the mouth
- Improved volume in the cheeks
- Minimized dark circles under the eyes
The hyaluronic acid in the filler is a naturally occurring substance found in the connective tissue of skin, making it a highly versatile ingredient in dermal fillers.
Who is a Candidate For Restylane Contour?
Restylane Contour is for adults ages 21 and over who would like a temporary solution to mild volume loss. The filler is a great alternative for fat grafting, cheek implants, or a face-lift.
Patients should avoid Restylane if they’re:
- Allergic to bacterial protein
- Taking blood thinners
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
Patients with a history of serious side effects from any drugs or medications may not be good candidates for Restylane Contour.
How Does Restylane Contour Work?
Restylane Contour works by adding volume and definition in the cheeks, thereby creating the appearance of a higher cheekbone. Results look natural and patients won’t have a “filler look”.
Injection of hyaluronic acid into the mid-face area helps smooth out and lift skin, making it appear fuller.
The hyaluronic acid in Restylane Contour clings to the skin and attracts water, helping to prolong treatment results. The water in the acid also adds temporary volume.
Other Common Restylane Products
Restylane products are injected into the lips, cheeks, and midface to restore a youthful and natural appearance.
- Restylane Silk. Provides lip augmentation and treats wrinkles around the mouth.
- Restylane Lyft. Restores volume in the cheeks, addresses midface contour deficiencies, and minimizes the appearance of laugh lines by improving volume and fullness.
- Restylane Refyne. Minimizes the appearance of wrinkles that form along the nose and corners of the mouth.
- Restylane Defyne. Improves the appearance of wrinkles around the nose and mouth.
What to Expect During The Procedure
Patients can receive Restylane injections in a doctor’s office and treatment doesn’t require any incisions. The doctor may provide local anesthesia at the beginning of the procedure to minimize discomfort.
Patients can expect to spend anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour on treatment, depending on the number of injections being done and the size of the treatment area.
The procedure consists of the following steps:
- The doctor will identify the injection sites in the treatment area(s) and cleanse the skin with an antiseptic.
- The doctor will then determine how much Restylane is necessary to achieve the desired results.
- The doctor will then use an ultrafine needle or cannula to inject the Restylane.
Results of Restylane Contour typically last up to 12 months.
Potential Risks And Side Effects
After injection with Restylane Contour, patients may experience the following side effects:
- Pain or itching at the injection site
These side effects are temporary and typically resolve within one to two weeks.
Risks of Restylane Contour injections include:
- Bruising or bleeding at injection site
- Allergic reaction
- Twitching and swelling of the eyelid
- Facial pain
- Skin sensation without stimuli
- Irregularities in the filling (lumps or bumps under the skin)